Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas

My daughter was watching the "My Little Pony" cartoon this morning. The ponies were very concerned that Santa wasn't going to make it to their town (for some reason or another). One pony said "Oh no, without Santa there is no Christmas!" It made me very sad to think about the message it was sending out to little children who were watching the show. Don't get me wrong, I took Ava to see Santa at the mall, and have explained that Santa is the one who will be bringing gifts to her this year. But it really made me think about my duty, as a mother, to explain the true reason as to why we celebrate Christmas every year. My parents always did a wonderful job of helping us realize the meaning of Christmas, and what it's all about. Now it's my duty to pass this along to my precious little daughter. Talking about Santa is alot of fun, but I don't want her to feel like that's all it is about. So, this year we will be starting a new tradition in our family on Christmas morning (since she was too little in the past to know what was going on) that I'm really excited about it! I'm excited to continue building some memories with our family and celebrating the birth of our Savior. I also want her to realize that there are so many children and families out there who do not have the financial means to open up gifts on Christmas morning. We purchased some gifts yesterday that we will be giving to a family in need. I would encourage you to do the same! It's a wonderful feeling and experience to see the joy brought to tiny little faces who normally do not get much...or anything at all. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the time spent with your loved ones!

Luke 2:11 "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been challenged as well with how to explain Christmas. I would love to hear how your gift-giving went with the other family. Thank you for showing Ava what love looks like.