Sunday, October 19, 2008

5-Spice Turkey Lettuce Wraps

I tried a new dish tonight, and thought I would share it with any of you out there who enjoy the lettuce wraps at PF Changs (No, it's not the official recipe but something similar). A few weeks ago I hired a personal trainer who has been meeting with me once a week (coming to my house!)to show me some new work-outs, and has given me new goals every week regarding my diet. I've been trying really hard to work out/eat well and it's nice having an accountability partner! This week I was trying to eat less sodium and include more veggies. I modified this recipe a bit (I'll try to include the modifications) but it was a big hit with my husband and daughter! I even made extra so that I could freeze a batch for next week sometime. If you need to add carbs to yours, I would suggest using whole wheat tortillas (instead of the lettuce as a wrap) or adding in some brown rice to the mix. Enjoy!

5-Star Spicy Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients

2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 pound lean ground turkey (I used the Jennie-O turkey...Albertsons had it for $2.99/lb!)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (I forgot to use this....whoops! It was still good though)
1 large red bell pepper, finely diced (I threw in a few peppers to add more veggies)
1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped (I added more since we love these)
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used 1/2 of this and added some water)
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (if you've never used this, you buy it in the Chinese section. Its yummy...made of soybeans, chiles, garlic and spices!)
1 teaspoon five-spice powder (You buy this in the Chinese section as well)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I did not use this, but you could use the no-sodium salt if you wanted)
2 heads lettuce, leaves separated (Either Boston lettuce or butter leaf lettuce)
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (I used chives, cilantro, and basil)
1 large carrot, shredded

Cooking Directions

Heat oil in large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and ginger (which I forgot to add); cook about 7 minutes until the turkey is cooked through. Stir in bell pepper, water chestnuts, broth, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder and salt (which I omitted); cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

To serve, spoon portions of the turkey mixture into lettuce leaves, top with herbs and carrot and roll into wraps. That's all!

Nutrition Info
Per Serving
Calories: 338 kcal
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Fat: 14 g
Protein: 26 g
Sugars: 4 g

Hope you enjoy! Since it was cold out, I boiled some lemon tea to go along with it. Mmmmm...

No comments: