Monday, October 13, 2008

Stuff That Makes My Heart Stop Beating....


There have been a few times in the past 2 1/2 years where my heart has almost stopped beating from being worried. You know that feeling when your stomach clenches up and you feel like time stands still? The first one I had was when I went into labor with Ava. She was almost 4 weeks early, boarder-line preemie, and my labor was an absolute nightmare (maybe if I regain some courage I will post on that sometime!). We had to stay in the hospital for 10 days total after having her because she had to have a bit of extra care after her delivery. I remember having that feeling every day while we were in the hospital. It was not a fun thing to experience with your first child. As if becoming a mother for the first time isn't hard enough!


Well, I had one of those moments yesterday too. It was just a normal Sunday afternoon. Ava had run upstairs to get her 'play' cell phone and purse (because she loves mimicking me) so we could play 'house' (which is where she acts like the mommy and I act like her child). All of the sudden I heard the loudest THUMP in our entryway. My heart stopped beating. Seriously. You see, we have a loft upstairs with all of her toys in it. One of the walls only goes up 1/2 way to the ceiling (so you can look down from it). I thought she had somehow climbed up there and then fallen over. Don't get me wrong, she would have had to of moved a table or one of the love sacks over to the wall, in order to climb over it (which is impossible for someone her size) but my initial reaction was that she had fallen over the ledge. I screamed "AVA!" and ran to the entryway. What I found was my bible laying right there on the floor (was this God's way of telling me something?). It had been sitting on the ledge since we had just returned home from church and she must have pushed it over the edge when she went up there to get her purse. It was the biggest relief I had experienced in a long time. Here is a photo so you can see just how far she would have fallen. I guess now looking back on it, there is no way she could have pushed something over to the wall, but in that moment I couldn't think about anything else!



No comments: